November 18, 2009

Tzatziki with Swiss Chard

DSC07073

Soon, the days of buying swiss chard and other greens at the farmers’ market here in Edmonton will be gone. We’re gearing up for the winter version of the market: root vegetables and not much else.

DSC07074

There might be a few more weeks left of greens, though, and this is a recipe that uses them up nicely. I found this recipe on Tea and Cookies, a wonderful blog with simple, honest recipes and beautiful essays and photos.

I’ve never even made regular tzatziki before, the kind with cucumbers. But this one was easy and delicious. I’m sure it would also work with spinach. I used goat’s milk yogurt from Fairwinds Fair, which makes it extra tangy. We ate it on toasted whole-wheat bread, but it would also be great with pita chips and raw vegetable, and on sandwiches. Make it now while you can still buy local greens.

DSC07076

3 comments:

Marianne said...

You are right - soon we will be missing those fall greens. Way to savor the chard! That tzatziki looks great!

Anne said...

This looks wonderful! I have a bunch of kale, which I think would be too tough, but this is worth buying chard for. I will make it Saturday for our women's meeting pot luck! I'll tell them it came from your blog!
xoxoxo

Jan (Mixing Bowl Kids) said...

Yum!!!!! This looks fantastic and I think I'm going to have to try this this coming weekend. We love swiss chard and how great to serve it in a new and interesting way.