May 23, 2010

Soma Chocolatemaker – Toronto

047

Whenever I visit my friend emily in Toronto, our activities revolve around food. When I was there around this time last year, I spent almost a week hanging out with her, and the days went something like this: walk, eat, walk some more, eat again, walk a bit more, eat another treat. It was fantastic.

027

I visited emily again last week, but this time I could only stay for a few days. Not to worry: we still managed to fit in some good eatin’. It has become a tradition for us to visit the Soma chocolate shop whenever I come to Toronto. I first discovered it about four years ago when I was studying at a chamber music program in nearby Oakville. My group came into the city to see a concert in the Distillery District, a small neighbourhood near downtown where all the distilleries used to be. Full of old, brick buildings and pedestrian cobblestoned streets, it doesn’t feel like you’re in the city. Near the concert hall was this chocolate shop, and my friends and I stopped in. It was incredible. If you like good chocolate and you go to Toronto, Soma is a requisite stop.

035046

Soma is a shop, a cafe, and a mini chocolate factory. It sits in a beautiful Victorian industrial brick building, with high ceilings and a sophisticated, breezy atmosphere. It is what’s known as a bean-to-bar chocolate maker – one of only a few in Canada (including Choklat in Calgary).  They buy cocoa beans directly from plantations and make the chocolate themselves. The variety of products they create is astounding, and includes single-origin bars made from beans from the Ivory Coast, Masagascar, Peru and other countries.

033

They roast the cocoa beans and make all of their chocolate products on-site. There are large glass windows looking from the cafe into the production area so you can watch the chocolate artisans at work. Unfortunately when I was there last week the area was dead, but it was still interesting to look at the machines and wonder what they do. I don’t know if Soma offers tours but I would definitely go on one.

044

052
As for the products themselves, whenever I am there I pretty much want to buy everything. Along with their plain bars, they make small bars with added flavours, such as candied lemon and orange peel, almonds, and candied ginger. (I always pick up a ginger bar for J – they’re his favourite). They also create a similar product with large round discs of chocolate. I like the way the flavours are in large chunks or whole nuts and show through the chocolate – it has great visual appeal.

051

They also make various other sweet treats with combinations of nuts, dried fruit and chocolate, such as chocolate-covered nuts and coffee beans, and many types of cookies.

034055

In the cafe you can order handmade truffles that beckon like jewels from the display case. If you’re in the mood for a hot drink there is a great variety of hot chocolate, including Mayan with spices, Italian hazelnut, “dark side of the mug”, and even a single chocolate shot (emily’s choice).

049039

And to top it all off they make their own gelato.  This time around I chose a double scoop of coconut and mango. Both flavours tasted like the essential nature of the ingredient in a cold, creamy package. It was definitely some of the best gelato I’ve ever had. 

036043

There is a lot of great chocolate in Edmonton, and Kerstin’s Chocolates is one of my favourite shops in the city. But Soma is something completely different. If you are in Toronto I highly recommend it.

037

SOMA Chocolatemaker
55 Mill St.
Toronto, ON
www.somachocolate.com

7 comments:

Marianne said...

Thanks for all the pictures, Isabelle! So beautiful. I have to get over there.

I agree with you on the chocolate discs - they look fantastic with the whole nuts in there.

BMO said...

These pictures are amazing just to look at. I wish I could go to Toronto right now and try it out!
I remember I once saved $5 on new shoes and I was so happy that I went on spending over $25 on chocolate products like these. That's what I call saving for the future. Although I doubt they had their products hand-made like Soma.

Sandy said...

I'm drooling.

Anne said...

Good Lord!!! Did you try the Peruvian one, or get me some? :-) Incredible! I'll have to go there when I visit C & A next year.

A Canadian Foodie said...

What a beautiful post and trip. You are a chamber musician? Bravo! I can truly picture you playing the cello. What do you play? I have a dear dear friend who is a pathologist in Montreal who plays chamber music: Ronald Onerheim. How I loved sitting beside him as he played the piano in our youth. I also played the piano, but not like him. He owned and breathed through his instrument. Beautiful. Love the chocolate visit... you were so lucky to have a tour and are so fortunate to have a dear friend you can visit there.
:)
Valerie

Cheryl Arkison said...

Ooh, I've added that to the list for our trip to TO next month.

NatCooks said...

Their Arbequina olive oil truffle is simply the best chocolate I've ever put in my mouth. And I'm not even a chocoholic! Taking my mom their later this month.