November 17, 2012

Coffee in Halifax

313

Still playing catch-up around here, and this one is a long time coming. I wanted to write about these cafes a year ago after I visited them in summer 2011, but it just never happened. On our trip to Halifax this past September, I stopped in at one of them again, and I’d like to tell you about it.


Java Blend

315

Java Blend is on North street, just a few blocks from my mother’s house, and is a fixture in the North end of the city. They roast their own beans, and also offer the cheapest latte in town – only three dollars! But it’s fantastic. The cafe is cozy, small and always crowded with people.

304306308311

Trident Booksellers and Cafe

441

I remember going to Trident when I was a kid in its old location on Argyll Street. It’s now down on Hollis Street, right near the Seaport Farmers’ Market, and my mom and I visited right after our trip to the market in July 2011. I didn’t get back there on this past visit, but only for lack of time. Trident is a brilliant business – second-hand bookstore and cafe all in one. It has a lovely vintage, homey feel and serves a very good latte (they ALSO roast their own beans at the cafe), along with a great selection of baked goods, including some GF treats (I didn’t try any because I had indulged at the market already). And what’s better than browsing a lovely selection of books while sipping your coffee?

445443447450449

(P.S. Can you spot the classic Nova Scotia oatcakes up there?)

Other great cafes in Halifax:

Just Us 5396 Spring Garden Rd. and 1678 Barrington St.
Two If By Sea1869 Upper Water St. (and in downtown Dartmouth)
Uncommon Grounds 1030 South Park St. and 1237 Barrington St.
Coburg Coffee House6085 Coburg Rd.
Local Jo2959 Oxford St.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness, I spotted those oatcakes and they -- along with that lovely green rainy shot -- made me ache for Halifax. It is a good city, with so much good food and drink. (: